Strony

Betsy's Challenge - Vintage Treasures

Friday, October 29, 2010

This challenge has been so much fun. I can't say that I'm happy with all my cards...but I certainly did have fun...shopping for my treasures...and creating with them. Betsy Veldman's challenge was to incorporate some vintage items in our projects. All I really had was some jewelry and trims...not really any paper or fabric items. In a local shop I found these two cards. Loved the embossed and chalked look of this one printed in Germany...


And I loved this little verse inside this sweet little card...









I clipped out and arranged the flowers and wove some seam binding through them...cut the verse with a Spellbinder die, and used some of my favorite Papertrey cardstock and inks to put it all together...
The earring is an oldie, too, along with the tiny metal flowers I clipped off an old pin.

My next treasure was this old greeting card.
I really loved the colors in this one...







This old hanky had similar colors and I thought the leaves looked festive. I did some tea staining with it...









Again, I used my favorite Papertrey cardstocks, one of my favorite Cuttlebug embossing folders and some pretty inks to bring out the colors in the card. The Tattered Angels chipboard framed in my favorite image from the original card...the pretty carriage...

You can see the border of the hanky I used. I cut a tag and some holly from paper left from the original card (the card had lots of small holly accents in the plum colors). I thought the vintage earring brought out the blues I could see in the background of the card, and the seam binding Etsy - Memriemare) worked well with the other colors. I added some glitter to the carriage and the chipboard frame...hard to see in the photo.

For my final card I used an image found just inside the cover of this book, The Bookshelf for Boys and Girls. I hate to think about it as vintage, as it was printed the year before I was born, 1963. I am so excited about pulling more images from this book for future projects!






I used my Tim Holts Distress Inks on the edges of the focal image. Added some Papertrey paper and carstock, trim (not so vintage), twill ribbon, and a flower made with tissue, Glimmer Mist, and a vintage button...I love making my own flowers, but I am going to have to practice with these tissue ones a little more. I loved Betsy's inspration for that, though!


There just weren't enough hours in the week for this challenge, once I started looking and imagining how all these lovely images and fabrics might be used. Thanks so much to one of my favorite artists in the whole world, Betsy Veldman, for putting it out there for us!!

I have always wanted to play along on one of her challenges, but this is the first time my schedule cooperated. Fun, fun, FUN!!!

Thank you so much for visiting me today!

Hope your weekend is WONDERFUL!!

Geri












8 comments:

  1. Your cards are GORGEOUS! You totally rocked the challenge, and I have a feeling you are gonna win :) All the best, and a hug from a fellow-participant,

    Viola

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! These are gorgeous Geri! I think the first one is my favorite, but I AM a floral kinda girl so I guess I'm a little biased. :) Great job incorporating your vintage treasures into your cards. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Geri, your cards are lovely! I loved the handkerchief. thanks for visiting my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Geri these are absolutely beautiful! I love them all. You did an amazing job using vintage finds on your cards. The old earrings are stunning. :)
    Hugs,
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  5. Geri, just got online and found your new posting. Loved, loved, loved them all but my favorites were the winter carriage ride and the teacher card. The teacher card definitely reminded me of "my era" in elementary, aging myself!!!! You are a "winner" for sure. Always look forward to checking your blog to see what wonderful, new things you've created.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Geri! All three of these are just BEAUTIFUL!! You have done these vintage treasures justice. Thank you so much for playing along!

    Paper Crafts Go-to Gal
    Betsy Veldman

    ReplyDelete
  7. My name is Iracema and I’m from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. I saw your blog and I liked your job very much. I became your follower.
    I would like you to visit my blog too, which is : www.mirabolarte.com.br , and I hope you, maybe, become my follower too.
    Nice to meet you,
    Iracema.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Geri, you've created three stunning vintage pieces, all so very different and unique! I loved looking at your inspiration pieces and the way you incorporated them into your cards. Thank you so much for the congratulatory wishes, too!

    ReplyDelete